Sunday, September 19, 2010

עכו (Akko)

Went to Akko today, and I didn't believe everyone when they told me how amazing it was.  HOLY MOSES!  Coolest place I've ever been in my life.  The city is one of the oldest continuously inhabited sites in Israel, and was first mentioned in historical texts concerning the Pharaoh Tuthmosis III around 2,000 BC.  It is also mentioned in the bible (Judges 1:31), and has seen Greek, Roman, Crusader, Ottoman and Arab conquests throughout history.  There are ruins which you can just walk on- no payment, no tour guide, and the "old city" section of Akko is medieval.  I watched the sun disappear on the horizon of the Mediterranean, I walked through a crusader tunnel, saw a real open air arab market, ate some shwarma and took lots of wicked pics and videos.  Here are some, and the videos are coming soon- they take a while to upload.  I'm going back with the kibbutz people on a group tour later in the month, instead of just going with some friends like today.  So, more on history to come, I'm sure.  Thats all for now, enjoy the photos :)

edit: so, here's a video and a picture, the internet is slow.  more to come later.




this is when we first got there, just a panorama of the old sea wall and the old city

IMG_1461

IMG_1462

IMG_1463

IMG_1475 width="640" height="480" alt="IMG_1464" />

IMG_1465

IMG_1466

IMG_0128

No comments:

Post a Comment